Friday, August 1, 2014

怎么 vs. 怎样 (or this is where my time goes)

Yesterday and today I have been going through a chinese pod lesson (#2290) about Chinese Class Placement.  It covers all sorts of good chinese learner vocabulary (比如:水平,口语,发音,声调,什么的)Besides listening to the dialogue (对话!)It also has accompanying expansion materials to help you really use your new words and patterns.  Anyway one of the expansion sentences is "How can I improve my chinese skill level quickly?") My first stab at 翻译 was:
 "我怎么快地提高我的中文水平。"
Wǒ zěnme kuài dì tígāo wǒ de zhōngwén shuǐpíng.

However, to my surprise the their answer was

"怎样才能很快地提高我的中文水平?"
Zěnyàng cáinéng hěn kuài dì tígāo wǒ de zhōngwén shuǐpíng?

Besides my use of an extra 我, I immediately wondered about 怎样 (Zěnyàng) since this is the first time I have seen this word in three years of study.  Why that instead of good ole 怎么?
I was able to look up the word in NCIKU but that did not help much.  Then I tried in the chinese grammar wiki and got no love.  Finally I just google searched on "怎么 vs. 怎样 " and found this discussion.  And then I thought "Hey this would make a nice blog post..."
P.S. I was also curious about the "才能" in the chinese pod translation.  So I went looking for explanation and found some here. It seems that 才 is just adding emphasis to 能.  So perhaps this sentence in english would read, "How *can* I improve my chinese skill level quickly."

No comments:

Post a Comment